Cinch + AvalonDock

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Hi Sacha,

I try to use the full power of Cinch (WorkspaceData, ViewModel.Views, ICollectionView navigation, ...) with AvalonDock for Documents and ToolWindows, but I'm not sure how I should do that.

My first implementation with CinchV1 wasn't MVVM confirmed, so i try to do that better now. But as I said, I'm new in world of WPF and this is realy completly other programming style. I don't have feeling for what I should do and how.

If you have an idea, or you know someone, who use your new framework with AvalonDock, please help me.

Thank you,

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I would use a View 1st approach as discussed in the Cinch V2 articles and have certain views being put into panes in my avalonDock panels. Perhaps a DockService that allows a new View to create created and put in a certain pane. So your service would need a reference to the docking, and might accept an enum/string that specified what dockpanel to put view into. Have not used avalonDock but this is how I would approach it

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Thank you for reply,

problem is, that AvalonDocks DockingManager have a property DocumentSource, this property (and all panes ItemsSource property) supports only DockableContent objects, so i can't simply bind Views to that and SetActiveWorkspace from ViewModel. Probably I need some kind of adaptor class, to manage that.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Yeah I would go for some sort of adaptor / wrapper