V2 Roadmap

May 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Hi Sacha

Is V2 in the several months time frame? I am evaluating frameworks for a big project, and your solutions have been excellent... just wondering on timeframes for beta, final if possible.

Thanks

Harold

Coordinator
May 11, 2010 at 1:21 PM
Edited May 11, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Yeah next couple of months for sure. I think I will have the main framework done in 2 weeks, but there is one big piece that I would really like to put in, though the rest will work fine without it, its a nice to have (but very nice).

Problem is the code is only 1/3 of the story, people need documentation, and demo apps.

Going from V1 to V2 will be slightly painful, but not that bad, the key areas affected are

1. Service injection, no more IOC. It will use MEF. In fact where possible I am trying to eliminate any 3rd party dependencies altogether 

2. No more ILogger service, I feel people should create their own logging

3. Mediator has changed slightly

4. All previous attached DPs will now be Interactivty (Blend dlls) based classes

5. Lifecycle events will now longer be attached DPs, there will be a new ViewAwareService that people can use, and mock for that matter

6. It will also support SL (SL4 and above that is, I hate SL really, prefer big sister WPF, but SL4 is almost ok)

Other than that, is should be plain sailing. I am really excited about it actually, and I think it will really be cool.

May 21, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Sacha,

Will V2 include any unit test code for the framework itself?  The company I work for has a mandate to validate any 3rd party libraries we may use.

May 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM
- When you release V2 will you hold off until all is completed or have some interim release? - You mention moving away from attached DPs and use of Blend. I've not seen any other frameworks talking about this. What's your thinking behind the move? - No offense to you but if I use CINCH then how sure can I be that it will be supported in 1,2 or 5 years time. I just seen so many projects that suddenly stop and if I start to use your application I'm a bit concerned about the thought that it would perhaps not be supported in a year or two. Thanks for all your effort with the code, Richard
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM
Edited Jul 8, 2010 at 8:50 PM
There is always a danger of that. I lead a busy life too, but whether you use my code or not is your call really. What I can say is that I use Cinch at work and am trying to keep it up to date and am always looking to improve it.
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM
I am not not providing unit tests for V2 as I did for V1, as I am plain tired, so if you can not use it due to this reason, I am sorry, but I just do not have the time to do this at the moment. To much other stuff to learn